Metro Verdicts Monthly provides the following data to give the median (not average) settlement and verdicts for ankle fracture injuries:
District of Columbia: $66,000
My comment? People rarely have minor ankle injuries in car accidents in my experience. So I think a lot of slip and fall ankle injuries are included in here which lowers the value from pure auto accident ankle injury claims (or malpractice claims which are more rare for ankle injuries).
I don’t think we have ever had an ankle injury case for a settlement amount of less than $150,000 and I can think of one that settled for over a $1,000,000 (although that case had other complicated injuries so it is hard to sort out where the settlement value was in the case).
Ankle Injury Verdicts and Settlements
Here are some example settlements and verdicts. Will these give you the settlement amount your case should fetch? Of course not. but they are instructive.
- 2022, Texas: $30,000 Verdict. A woman was struck at an intersection. She suffered right ankle and foot fractures. The woman underwent two repair procedures. Her physician recommended an ankle fusion. The woman alleged negligence against the at-fault driver. She claimed he failed to yield the right-of-way. The jury awarded $30,000.
- 2022, Alabama: $200,000 Verdict. A woman drove along a highway. Her daughter rode with her. They were rear-ended. The woman sustained a concussion. She also suffered rotator cuff and labral tears and pain in her ankles, neck, back, and shoulder. Her daughter injured her neck and back. The woman alleged negligence against the at-fault driver. She claimed he failed to slow down.
- 2022, Washington: $1,500,000 Verdict. A 60-something man attempted to take out his trash. His neighbor struck him. The man fractured his ankle, tibia, and fibula. He made a UIM claim against State Farm. The jury awarded him $1,500,000
- 2022, Kentucky: $14,894 Verdict. A woman was struck head-on. She suffered multiple injuries, including ankle and rib fractures and a fibula tendon tear. The woman alleged negligence against the at-fault driver. She claimed he drove inattentively and failed to watch the road. The jury awarded the woman $14,894.
- 2022, Washington: $441,090 Verdict. A 40-something man was struck at a crosswalk while bike riding. He suffered a shoulder tear, an ankle injury, and a concussion. The man underwent a shoulder repair and an ankle arthroscopy. He alleged negligence against the at-fault driver. The man claimed he failed to yield to a cyclist and watch the road. A jury awarded $441,090.
- 2021, New York: $8,000,000 Verdict. A 30-something tripped and fell on the icy sidewalk outside of her apartment. She suffered multiple left ankle tears. The woman sustained complex regional pain syndrome on her left foot. The woman underwent physical therapy and painkilling injections. Her pain became permanent. The woman found it difficult to perform her favorite activities, including yoga and running. She now required a neurostimulator. The woman alleged negligence against the premises’ manager. She claimed he failed to remove ice and create a safe path for pedestrians. The jury awarded $8,000,000.
- 2021, Kentucky: $74,119 Verdict. A 50-something man was rear-ended at a red light. He suffered an ankle tear, an ankle tendon fracture, and a meniscal injury. The man underwent ankle and meniscal repairs. He alleged negligence against the at-fault driver. The man claimed he failed to avoid the collision. A jury awarded $74,119.