Jury Verdict Research found that the median money damage award in vehicle accident cases in Arizona is $16,929. Plaintiffs win money damages in 53 percent of cases that go to trial.
JVR also breaks down the type of accident: rear-end accidents accounted for 27 percent of the total number of plaintiff verdicts; intersection accidents accounted for 13 percent; turning collisions accounted for 12 percent; truck accidents accounted for 11 percent; chain reaction collisions accounted for 9 percent. All other liabilities made up 8 percent or less of the total.
I’m not sure why truck accidents were given their own category in these type of accidents. But this Arizona verdict data is interesting, and I think reflects the relative proportions of the different types of vehicle accidents nationally.
Arizona Car Accident Verdicts and Settlements
- 2022, Arizona: $460,000 Verdict. A woman was T-boned. She suffered C5-C7 bulges and wrist nerve compression. The woman underwent a cervical fusion and a carpal tunnel release. She alleged negligence against the at-fault driver. The woman claimed he made an unsafe left turn and failed to yield the right-of-way. A Maricopa County jury awarded $460,000.
- 2022, Arizona: $180,000 Verdict. A man stopped at a red light. He was subsequently rear-ended by a police officer. The man suffered severe injuries. He alleged negligence against the City of Scottsdale. The man claimed he failed to timely brake and avoid a collision. A jury awarded $180,000.
- 2021, Arizona: $854,500 Verdict. A man and his daughter were rear-ended by a state trooper. The man injured his neck and back. He also sustained a concussion. The man’s daughter suffered minor injuries. He alleged negligence against the State of Arizona. The man claimed the state trooper drove at unsafe speeds. A Maricopa County jury awarded $854,000.
- 2021, Arizona: $981,908 Verdict. A 60-something truck driver was sideswiped. As a result, the truck rolled over and went off-road. The man suffered severe shoulder injuries. He alleged negligence against the at-fault driver. The man claimed he failed to safely operate his vehicle, timely brake, and avoid a collision. A Pima County jury awarded $981,908.
- 2020, Arizona: $153,829 Verdict. A man suffered unspecified injuries after a garbage truck sideswiped his dump truck. He sued the City of Tempe, the garbage truck’s owner. The man alleged that the garbage truck’s driver failed to stay in his lane. He sought compensation for his injuries, medical bills, pain and suffering, and mental anguish. The City of Tempe contested whether the collision caused the man’s injuries. A Maricopa County jury awarded the man $152,355. The man also received $1,474 in taxable costs. His net verdict totaled $153,829.
- 2020, Arizona: $220,994 Verdict. A vehicle struck a man’s vehicle as he attempted to exit a hotel parking lot. He sustained a torn left rotator cuff. The man sued the other driver, alleging that his failure to pay attention to the road caused his injuries. The other driver admitted liability but argued that the man was also comparatively negligent. A Maricopa County jury awarded the man $220,000. He also received $994 in taxable costs. However, fault apportionment reduced the net award to $198,994.
- 2019, Arizona: $10,000 Verdict. A 42-year-old woman suffered degenerative disc disease and the aggravation of her pre-existing disc herniations after her vehicle was rear-ended at a red light. She claimed she would need to undergo future fusion and decompression surgery because of her injuries. The other driver admitted liability but disputed the extent of the woman’s injuries. A Pima County jury awarded a $10,000 verdict.
- 2019, Arizona: $90,021 Verdict. A Ford F150 pickup truck drove out of a private driveway and struck a woman’s Honda Civic. She and her male passenger suffered undisclosed personal injuries. They sued the F150’s driver, alleging that his failure to yield the right-of-way caused their injuries. The F150’s driver admitted liability but disputed the passenger’s injuries. Following arbitration, the man received a $24,054 award. The Maricopa County jury also awarded a $30,500 verdict. The final judgment for the man amounted to $90,021.
- 2019, Arizona: $2,964,000 Verdict. A man suffered a traumatic brain injury and orthopedic injuries after a dump truck turned left and struck his vehicle head-on at an intersection. The man sued the dump truck’s driver and his employer. He alleged that the truck’s driver failed to yield the right-of-way. The defendants denied liability, alleging that a non-party motorist’s encroachment of the intersection caused the dump truck to make a wider left turn than intended. They also disputed the brain injury’s causes and extent. The Maricopa County jury determined that the man was 17.5 percent liable, the dump truck driver was 82.5 percent liable, and the non-party driver was 0 percent liable. They awarded a $2,964,000. The man’s net award was $2,445,300 based on liability apportionment.
- 2019, Arizona: $1,700,000 Settlement. A man suffered rib fractures, thoracic vertebrae fractures, a spleen laceration, and a dislocated right thumb after a truck struck his motorized wheelchair on the street. He sued the truck’s driver, alleging that he negligently operated his vehicle while eating and that he failed to maintain a proper lookout. The man also sued his employer for improperly training and supervising its drivers. This case settled for $1,700,000.
- 2019, Arizona: $7,000 Verdict. A woman suffered a traumatic brain injury, post-traumatic headaches, and a neck injury after her vehicle was rear-ended. She claimed that she sustained permanent injuries that left her with 25 percent bodily impairment. The woman sued the other driver for distracted driving, failing to maintain reasonable speeds, and failing to properly control his vehicle. The other driver admitted liability but disputed the injuries’ extent and causes. A Pima County jury awarded a $7,000 verdict.
- 2019, Arizona: $35,000 Verdict. A woman suffered unspecified injuries after her vehicle was struck at an intersection. She sued the other driver and the vehicle’s owner. The woman alleged that the other driver recklessly operated her vehicle and failed to yield the right-of-way. She also claimed that her injuries affected her work performance. The Maricopa County jury awarded her a $35,000 verdict.
- 2018, Arizona: $190,000 Verdict. A man suffered a torn left rotator cuff after his vehicle was struck head-on. He sued the other driver, alleging that he failed to drive on the right side of the road. The other driver admitted liability but disputed whether the collision caused the man’s injuries. A Maricopa County jury awarded the man $190,000.