Wal-Mart has announced that they are pulling a batch of powdered infant formula from more than 3,000 of its stores nationwide, after a 10 day old newborn boy who was given the formula became seriously ill with a suspected bacterial infection, and died after being taken off life support.
Wal-Mart has pulled the lot in an abundance of caution, though there has been no government recall ordered for the 12.5-ounce cans of Enfamil Newborn powder. The affected lot is stamped with lot number ZP1K7G. The lot could eventually go back on the shelves, depending on the outcome of the investigation, but customers who bought the cans have the option of returning them for a refund or exchange.
Manufacturer Mead Johnson Nutrition said its records showed the lot tested negative for the bacterium before it was shipped. At this point, it has not been determined whether the illness is linked to the formula or an outside source.
Really, it is hard to imagine something more terrifying than defective infant formula. We used Enfamil with our children as I am sure many people reading this have. Obviously, the big tragedy is any child who suffers or dies from a bacterial infection from this. But you also cannot minimize the fear that thousands of parents are having right now. I would be just freaking out if my child had had this formula.