More recalls this week of note:
Flowers Foods is voluntarily recalling the following Mrs. Freshley’s multipack cereal bars, as they may contain undeclared non-fat dry milk:
- Mrs. Freshley’s Canadian Label Apple Cinnamon Fruit & Pastry Cereal Bars, UPC 072250002400
- Mrs. Freshley’s Canadian Label Blueberry Fruit and Pastry Cereal Bars, UPC 072250002387
- Mrs. Freshley’s Canadian Label Strawberry Fruit and Pastry Cereal Bars, UPC 072250002363
The recalled product involves the following distribution:
- In Canada: To food and convenience stores in Quebec and Ontario provinces
- In U.S: To discount stores nationwide in the dual-language (French/English) multipack carton
People who have allergies to dairy products run the risk of serious or life-threatening allergic reaction if they consume these products. The recall was initiated after Flowers discovered that product containing non-fat dry milk was distributed in packaging that did not reveal the presence of milk, and that product labeled for sale and distribution in Canada was sold for distribution in the U.S.
Another recall this week involving undeclared milk is Prolab Nutrition. Prolab is recalling some of its protein items as they too, may contain undeclared milk, as well as possible undeclared heat and gluten allergens. People with an allergy or severe sensitivity to milk and/or wheat and gluten allergens may run the risk of a serious or life-threatening allergic reaction if they consume products containing these allergens. Although no illness have been reported, Prolab is recalling the following:
Item Description: EAN/UPC – Contains Undeclared MILK and WHEAT/GLUTEN
- PROLAB® Pure Whey3, Milk Chocolate, 5 lb. (V3) 750902201929
- PROLAB® Pure Whey, Vanilla Créme, 2 lb. (V3) 750902201875
- PROLAB® Pure Whey, Wild Strawberry, 5 lb. (V3) 750902201936
- PROLAB® Pure Whey, Wild Strawberry, 2 lb. (V3) 750902101557
Contains Undeclared WHEAT/GLUTEN
- PROLAB® Advanced Pure Whey Protein4, Milk Chocolate, 2 lb. (V3)750902201301
- PROLAB® Advanced Pure Whey Protein, Vanilla Créme, 2 lb. (V3) 750902201349
- PROLAB® Advanced Pure Whey Protein, Wild Strawberry, 2 lb. (V3) 750902201271
- PROLAB® Pure Whey5, Milk Chocolate, 2 lb. (V3)
- PROLAB® Pure Whey, Milk Chocolate, 16 g Sample Packet 750902201882
- PROLAB® Pure Whey, Vanilla Créme, 5 lb. (V3)
- PROLAB® Pure Whey, Vanilla Créme, 16 g Sample Packet 750902201912
- PROLAB® Pure Whey, Wild Strawberry, 16 g Sample Packet
- PROLAB® Whey Isolate Protein6, Milk Chocolate, 2 lb. (V3) 750902201851
- PROLAB® Whey Isolate Protein, Vanilla Créme, 2 lb. (V3)50902201813
- PROLAB® Whey Isolate Protein, Wild Strawberry, 2 lb. (V3) 750902201837
The last recall reported this week (to date) is done by Thumb Oilseed Producer’s Cooperative . They are recalling 2,623, 40 lb. bags and 360, 1500 lb. totes of soybean flour. Additionally recalled is 924, .08 ton loads of bulk soy meal. The soybean flour is utilized to manufacture human and animal. The recalls are all made as they may be contaminated with Salmonella, an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems.
Salmonella can affect animals eating the product, and there is risk to humans from handling contaminated products, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with the product or surfaces exposed to these products.
The soy flour was distributed in 40 lb. paper bags under the names:
- Nex Soy (Lot numbers TF112310 thru TF033011)
- Soy Beginnings (Product Code 285100-NFB; Lot numbers TF112310 thru TF033011)
The soy flour was also distributed in 1500 lb. polyurethane totes under the name:
- Soy Beginnings (Product Code 285100-NFT, Lot numbers TF112310 thru TF082311)
The soy meal was distributed as .08 ton loads after custom processing with Lot numbers O011711 thru O081711.
The recalled soybean flour and meal was distributed to a limited group of wholesale customers located in Illinois, Vermont, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, New Hampshire and Canada. The shipments occurred in November 2010 thru September 2011. Thumb Oilseed is contacting these customers and taking necessary steps to protect consumer health.