An Allegheny County jury in Pennsylvania has ordered the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center to pay $5 million to a woman left brain-damaged after she was given eight times the appropriate amount of sodium she required to correct a chemical imbalance.
Plaintiff was diagnosed with an electrolyte deficiency and low sodium after an emergency room, according to her medical malpractice lawyers. The hospital planned to slowly correct her low sodium but accidentally gave her a dose of eight times the amount she should have received.
The sodium overload caused permanent brain damage that has prevented the plaintiff from returning to work, impaired her speech, and made walking difficult, according to her malpractice attorneys.
You can read the full story on this case here.